Like most one-year-olds, my little guy is busy, busy busy! He always wants to be playing outside and he’ll take his toy set of keys and run to the door yelling “GO, GO, GO”! We spend lots of time at the park, the zoo, or on a walk, but one of my favorite outdoor activities to do as a family is to have a simple picnic! Sometimes we will go to a park, or sometimes we will bring a few toys and plop on the grass outside our apartment. It’s the best simple, fun activity that lets us enjoy the nice weather, without spending money! We turn on Pandora radio on our phones and have a blast chasing Jackson around and letting him do what little boys do best–make a mess!
There are a few things I’ve learned over the years that help make a family picnic as simple and easy as possible!
1. Any basket will do! You really don’t need a fancy picnic basket or utensils. Grab any small basket you have in your home, and make sure to:
2.Think disposable! A few paper plates and plastic utensils will do the trick!
3. Don’t forget the Wet-Naps! Let’s be real–the best way to deal with sticky fingers, and messy faces, is with a Wet-Nap wipe–those soft and sturdy, anti-bacterial wipes are a mom’s best friend! Jackson has his hands in his mouth for every bite he eats, and he loves to pat his head with his sticky little fingers, making sure to get junk in his hair and all over his face! But, I don’t even let the huge mess bother me because A). he’s a one-year-old! and B). Wet-Nap wipes always come to my rescue! Right now Wet-Nap is offering .55 cents off any product so it’s the perfect time to stock up! Print your coupon here (while supplies last)!–I buy mine at Walmart in the napkin aisle!
4. Bring along a blanket and find a shady spot!
5. Think finger foods–but you don’t always have to settle on a boring PB&J! Being a foodie and all, I absolutely have to have something yummy to eat at a picnic! These Thai Chicken Crunch Wraps are soo easy to throw together and they’re just plain TASTY! Use a toothpick to secure them, wrap them in some plastic wrap and you’re good to go! You can enjoy them with a side of fruit and veggies, chips, and plenty of water. And if you’ve got your Wet-Nap wipes on hand you don’t even have to worry about a mess!
There’s just something addicting about the peanut-y, sweet chili flavor of these Thai Chicken Crunch Wraps. They sweet, but a little spicy and have the perfect amount of “crunch” from all of the vegetables. I adapted the recipe from my popular Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps recipe, and both are so easy to make!
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 chicken breasts , cut into thin strips
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 sweet onion , chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 carrots , shredded or roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 3 green onions , thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro , chopped
- 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce (found in the Asian section of the grocery store)
- 1 heaping Tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp freshly chopped ginger
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- Crushed red pepper , to taste
- 3 Large tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups Lettuce , chopped
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- Handful of green snap peas
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Add chicken, garlic, onions, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through. Add the carrots, cabbage, and green onions, cooking for a few more minutes until vegetables are tender, but still have a nice crunch.
In a small bowl combine the sweet chili sauce, ginger, chunky peanut butter, and soy sauce, and crushed red pepper. Stir until smooth. Add to pan, along with chopped cilantro. Stir until blended in and heated through. Spoon mixture into lettuce leaves.
Layer tortillas with a handful of lettuce, peanuts, snap peas, and a large spoonful of the chicken mixture. Roll tightly like a burrito and secure with a toothpick.
If you like this recipe you may like: