Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken is homemade Chinese food at it’s best. It’s coated with a simple homemade sauce and served over brown or white rice.
I love my slow-cooker all year round! During the summer it’s the perfect way to avoid heating up my house, and it makes dinner prep super easy! After chasing around my toddler in the hot sun all day (while I’m 8 months pregnant) I’m totally exhausted at the end of the night and it’s nice to have dinner ready in the crockpot!
Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken is packed with flavor and I love the crunch that the cashews add to it. We just love homemade Chinese food at our house, so this dish was right down my husband’s alley! Serve it with some steamed veggies or some grilled/steamed bok choy and you’ve got a perfect meal!
CONSIDER TRYING THESE POPULAR ETHNIC INSPIRED RECIPES:
- Thai Green Curry Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- Kung Pao Noodle Stir-Fry
- Korean Bulgogi Bowls
Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken is homemade Chinese food at it's best. It's coated with a simple homemade sauce and served over brown or white rice.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (About 4 pieces)*
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root , grated
- 1/2 cup cashews
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-2 green onions , chopped, for garnish
- Combine flour and black pepper in a large zip-lock bag. Add chicken and shake to coat.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add chicken and sear/brown for about 2 minutes on each side. Place chicken in slow cooker.
- In a medium size bowl combine the chicken broth, soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, garlic, and ginger; pour mixture over chicken.
- Cook on LOW for about 2.5 - 3 hours. Mix in cashews. Serve over rice; top with green onions and red pepper flakes.
*Chicken thighs work great too
Adapted from 365 Days of Slow Cooking
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.