Skinny Tomato Basil Soup, made with veggies that have been purred in a food processor, makes for a fast and healthy dinner!
I’m a sucker for tomato soup. When we lived in Utah I’d eat at Zupas all the time just to enjoy their amazing tomato basil soup–gosh I miss that place! Luckily I can lean on this awesome recipe instead! The best thing about this recipe (besides how yummy it is!) is how EASY it is.
This is definitely a 30-minute (or less) meal, which just can’t be beat! I really love this Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup recipe, but this skinny tomato basil soup version is the best when you want dinner FAST! And I love that it has veggies hidden it–my toddler gobbles this up!
Consider trying one of these classic soup recipes:
- Spicy Chicken Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Taco Soup
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Chile Verde Soup
Skinny Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 ribs celery
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 3 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes (3 - 14.5 oz. cans)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves , chopped
- 8 ounce package low-fat neufatchel cream cheese , cubed
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add celery, onion, and garlic to a blender or food processor and pulse into small pieces.
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add pulsed veggies to the pot and cook over medium heat for 7-10 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, broth, and basil to pot; bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully pour 1 cup of hot soup into blender and add cubed cream cheese. Blend on high until smooth.
- Stir cream cheese mixture into soup, add sugar or agave, add salt and pepper to taste. If you want a completely smooth soup you can puree all of it in the blender.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.