Here’s thing; I’ve never given a hoot about St. Patrick’s Day. Just had to throw that out there. When I was little I hated having to wear green but I also hated all the attention I’d get if I didn’t wear green! Kids seriously will pinch you! Ouch! I just never got the holiday I guess–and I still don’t.
The one thing I’m always okay with this time of year is McDonald’s Shamrock Shake! Umm…yes please. Peppermint deliciousness. I guess I can be a sport and celebrate St. Patty’s day for the sake of the Shamrock Shake. If you happen to have a moment of weakness and you swing through the drive-through, just don’t check out the calories on your shake. You may choke. It’s bad. So here’s a super easy and delicious skinny shamrock shake recipe you can make with you kids. They get something green for the holiday and you feel like a rockstar mom 🙂 ! This version still gives you thick, yummy milkshake taste, without the extra calories.
- 1 cup vanilla frozen yogurt
- ½ cup skim milk or almond milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract (or more to taste)
- Handful of chocolate chips (optional)
- A few drops of green food coloring
- Fat-free or light whipped cream , for topping, optional
- Maraschino cherries , for topping, optional
- Add frozen yogurt, milk, banana, extract, chocolate chips (if using), and food coloring to a blender and blend until smooth. Pause to stir the mixture with a spoon, if needed. Add extra milk to make it thinner or extra ice cream to make it thicker. Serve immediately topped with light whipped cream and a maraschino cherry, if desired