I can’t believe it’s already Father’s Day! May and June have just flown by! I am my Father’s daghter in every way…and we’re both suckers for anything sweet and salty.
So, in honor of my dad, these beauties came to be. Chocolate Salted Caramel Cupcakes. A yummy, moist chocolate cupcake, with salted caramel sauce inside, and a dark chocolate ganache frosting!
Then I just couldn’t resist topping these with Trader Joe’s Chocolate Covered Sea Salt Butterscotch Caramels, which a friend recently gave me for my birthday and I’m ticked I haven’t known about them sooner.
Consider trying these popular cupcake recipes:
- German Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Oreo Cream Frosting
- Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
- Caramel Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Frosting
Salted Caramel Chocolate Cupcakes
- 24 chocolate cupcakes
- course sea salt
For the Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- pinch of salt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Caramel Sauce:
- Mix the brown sugar, half-and-half, butter and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat
- Cook while whisking gently for 5 to 7 minutes, until it gets thicker.
- Add the vanilla and cook another minute to thicken further.
- Turn off the heat, cool slightly and pour the sauce into a jar. Refrigerate until cold.
For the Chocolate Frosting
- Melt butter. Stir in cocoa.
- Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
- Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.
- Makes about 2 cups frosting.
- Cut a small piece out of the center of each cupcake.
- Spoon caramel sauce into each cupcake hole. Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt over the caramel in each cupcake.
- Frost the cupcakes with the chocolate ganache frosting and sprinkle another pinch of sea salt on top of the ganache.
- Top with Trader Joe's Chocolate Covered Sea Salt Butterscotch Caramels!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I love putting little cupcake toppers, such as the ones below, on desserts for special occasions. They’re so easy and make things a little more festive and special! Just print these out, cut them out with scissors and tape them to a toothpick. Stick the toothpick in the cupcake, and viola!–a fun treat for Father’s Day!