Soft, moist red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, perfect for holiday parties! And you can adapt them for any special occasion.
There’s something special about Red Velvet Cupcakes. They’re popular for wedding cakes and special occasions, and everyone seems to always go crazy for them! I guess it’s because it’s really just a delicious type of chocolate cake, colored red–and everyone loves chocolate!
For me, it’s the cream cheese frosting that’s the winner on Red Velvet Cupcakes. I’m obsessed with cream cheese frosting! And It just so happens that my all-time favorite cake is smothered in cream cheese frosting!
This recipe is one of the best I’ve found for “from scratch”, bakery style red velvet cupcakes. They’re light, moist and soft, and soo simple to throw together! Throw on some cute Red, White, and Blue Tinsel Picks and these make the perfect holiday treat!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 2 Tablespoons Greek yogurts
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt optional
- 1 Tablespoon red food coloring
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 1/2 heaping cup cream cheese softened
- 2 Tablespoons butter , softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk if necessary
- 12 Reds White and Blue Tinsel picks*
- Preheat oven to 350 degreed F. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
For the cupcakes
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients, and mix until smooth.
- Add the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt, and stir just until combined; don't overmix.
- Gently stir in the red food coloring.
- Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean; don't over-bake.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- Combine the cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Add 1 cup powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Continue adding powdered sugar and milk until you reach your desired consistency. Frost cupcakes and add tinsel picks. Enjoy!