Lemon Cake with Fresh Strawberry Buttercream Frosting is a layered cake made with fresh strawberries.
While at the grocery store I was trying to think of ideas for a yummy treat to make for Mother’s Day. I was browsing the fresh produce, turned the corner and saw a new, huge section of fresh strawberries!
I get absolutely giddy during strawberry season–probably because it means spring and summer are really here (and I now have an excuse to make freezer jam, strawberry shortcake etc.).
So, for Mother’s Day, and to kick off strawberry season, I decided to make a simple, light, lemon cake with fresh strawberry buttercream frosting!
The best part about this cake, aside from the fluffy, moist and delicious lemon cake, is the fresh strawberry puree in the buttercream frosting! I’d be perfectly content with a bowl of this frosting and a spoon :-).
Lemon Cake with Fresh Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
For the Lemon Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest , from grated lemon
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
For the Frosting:
- 3 sticks unsalted butter , softened
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries , washed and stemmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (8-inch) round cake pans.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add sugar and butter to another large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to the sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Stir in lemon zest and juice.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Puree the strawberries in a food processor. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter. Add the confectioners sugar a little at a time and beat just until blended.
- Add the strawberry puree and vanilla and beat until the buttercream is light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Frost your cake and enjoy!