Huevos Rancheros are Mexican style eggs with corn tortillas, refried beans and salsa. A delicious healthy breakfast that my whole family loves!
I fell in love with Huevos Rancheros when my husband and I lived in Mexico. Don’t miss all my other favorite Mexican recipes.
Please tell me you have heard of this incredible dish before? Huevos Rancheros (Spanish for “rancher’s eggs”) is a popular Mexican recipe that’s made up of three signature ingredients; tortillas, fried eggs, and salsa.
This is a dish we had often in Mexico and it’s also very common on Mexican American menus here in the states. However, as with most things, not all versions of huevos rancheros are created equal! Good quality ingredients are essential for this recipe, including fresh and soft corn tortillas, quality refried beans and salsa.
- Tortillas– white corn tortillas are traditional but you can use small flour as well.
- Refried beans– pinto refried beans or black refried beans.
- Homemade salsa– Olive oil, onion, garlic, Cumin, salt, pepper, fire roasted tomatoes, diced green chiles
- Eggs– cooked any way you like
- Cilantro, avocado
How to Make Huevos Rancheros:
1. Make the salsa. Add olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes. Stir in cumin, salt and pepper, fire-roasted tomatoes (including juices), diced green chiles and bring mixture to a simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Heat tortillas, one at a time, on a lightly sprayed skillet for about 1 minute on each side.
3. Top with refried beans. Spread a spoonful of warm refried beans on each tortilla.
4. Spoon salsa over the beans
5. Top with a fried egg. Garnish with chopped cilantro and avocados.
- Vegan huevos rancheros: Omit the egg and add extra beans and avocado.
- Add Mexican rice
- Change up the eggs– Make this dish with your favorite type of eggs (poached, scrambled, etc).
- Add chorizo
- Add cheese: Shredded cheddar or crumbled cotija cheese.
Consider trying these popular Mexican recipes:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , pressed or finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 14.5 ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 6 small white corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups refried beans heated
- 6 large eggs over easy or fried
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro , chopped
- 1 avocado , chopped
- Add olive oil to a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for a few minutes. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Stir in cumin, salt and pepper. Add the entire can of fire-roasted tomatoes (including juices) and diced green chiles and bring mixture to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and set aside. Taste and add more seasonings, to taste.
- Heat a clean non-stick skillet. Spray lightly with non-stick spray. Heat tortillas, one at a time, for about 1 minute on each side.
- Spread a spoonful of warm refried beans on each tortilla.
- Spoon salsa over the beans and top with a fried egg.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and avocados.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe January 2016. Updated March 2020 with new process photos and instructions.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.