Frozen Hot Chocolate is a refreshing icy cold version of hot chocolate! It’s made with real melted chocolate, hot cocoa powder, milk, and ice blended and topped with whipped cream.
Once the summer heat hits this amazing Frozen Hot Chocolate recipe is a regular favorite at our house and tastes just as good as the one at Serendipity in NYC! It’s made with Real melted chocolate to give it a boost of richness and flavor. Best of all, it’s easy to make with just 5 ingredients and 15 minutes of your time.
- Chocolate: use good quality chocolate (milk chocolate or semi-sweet) that melts easily.
- Hot Chocolate Mix: or make your own, from scratch.
- Granulated Sugar: use more or less, to taste, depending on how sweet you’d like it.
- Milk: the higher fat, the creamier the drink will be.
- Optional Toppings: Whipped Cream and shaved chocolate
How to make Frozen Hot Chocolate:
- Chop and Melt chocolate in microwave on half power, in 20 second increments, stirring until smooth.
- Stir in hot chocolate mix and sugar. Add ½ cup milk and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Blend with some more milk, a few cups of ice, and the melted chocolate mixture until smooth.
- Serve immediately, topped with fresh whipped cream.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
This treat is best made fresh, but any leftovers could be frozen, and then re-blended when ready to eat.
Frozen Hot Chocolate
- 4 ounces high quality semi-sweet chocolate , or milk chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon store-bought hot chocolate powder*
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3-4 cups Ice cubes
- Whipped Cream for topping, optional
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces and melt in the microwave on half power, stirring every 20 seconds.
- Once melted, add hot chocolate powder and sugar, stirring until well blended. Slowly stir in ½ cup milk, stirring until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- In a blender, add the remaining 1 cup milk, chocolate mixture and ice. Blend well until smooth. Taste and add more ice if you want it thicker, and another spoonful of hot chocolate mix if you’d like it sweeter.
- Serve immediately, topped with sweetened whipped cream and chocolate curls, if desired.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE this recipe and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
Process photos by Nikole of The Travel Palate.
I originally shared this recipe July 2018. Updated July 2021.