Thick, soft and gooey rice Krispie treats with chunks of chocolate and marshmallow!
I grew up in the funnest little ski town in Utah called Park City. It’s absolutly beautiful–nestled in the mountains and the best place for skiing! During the summer months one of my families favorite activities was (and is) to go to an outdoor concert series by the Utah Symphony held at Deer Valley Ski Resort. Everyone brings blankets and a picnic and sits on the lawn while they play music from whatever artist they are featuring that week. My parents were there earlier this summer with some friends who bought a giant rice krispie treat with marshmallow and chocolate chunks in it. My mom thought it looked like the greatest treat ever, so we decided to make our own version for another concert series that next week!
My mom has always been an expert at rice krispie treats. She makes them extra thick and they’re always really soft and gooey! The key is to add a little more butter and marshmallows than a traditional rice krispie treat recipe calls for. Then we added in some whole mini marshmallows and chocolate chunks and they were seriously the best little treats ever! The ingredients are simple and cheap, and they take about 15 minutes to whip together–a win all around!
Chocolate Marshmallow Chunk Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 5 heaping cups marshmallows , separated
- 1 4.25 ounce Hershey's chocolate bars
- Grease a 9x13'' pan for regular size rice krispie treats, or a 8x8'' pan for extra thick rice crispy treats.
- Measure cereal into a giant mixing bowl.
- Chop chocolate bar into large chunks and set aside.
- Place butter in a large saucepan and melt over medium-low heat. Once melted, add 4 heaping cups of miniature marshmallows. Stir constantly until marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Pour in remaining heaping cup of marshmallows and mix once or twice to combine (you don't want these marshmallows to melt). Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and begin to stir to combine. Add the chocolate chunks once the mixture is well coated in marshmallows.
- Dump mixture into greased pan and press gently into the pan. Don't press them down too much so that you have plenty of airpockets, resulting in light and fluffy rice krispie treats!