I absolutely love Easter time. It’s like the holiday that means Spring is finally here! I love the pastel colors, I love egg hunts and all of the fun traditions involved, and, of course, I LOVE the food. I love cooking a big ham for the family to eat (which means we’ll have tons of leftovers to make with ham.) I love deviled eggs. And I love any type of special easter-themed sweets! (How cute are these Chocolate-Dipped Peeps!)
I’ve always thought little edible easter nests were really cute–but have you seen the ones made with those crunchy chow mein noodles? GROSS! These little brownie bites, on the other hand, are super cute and festive but they taste delicious too! The coconut frosting is the same I use on my favorite German Chocolate Cake. And let’s be honest, I take advantage of any excuse to by mini cadbury eggs. Best Easter candy ever.
Bird's Nest German Chocolate Brownie Bites
For the Brownies
- 1 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the coconut frosting
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 package cadbury mini eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray muffin tins generously with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl add oil, sugar, and vanilla; mix well with electric beaters. Add eggs and mix again. Add flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt to wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour batter into muffin tins, filling each only about 1/3 full. ( If you're using a mini muffin tin, you can fill each about 2/3 full). Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until just set, taking care not to over bake them. Once cooled use a small knife to trace around each brownie bite to loosen it from the pan. Prepare coconut frosting.
For the coconut frosting
- In a medium saucepan, mix the first five ingredients together. Stir constantly over medium heat until it comes to a slow boil. Cook, stirring constantly until it thickens - this will take about 10 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in coconut and pecans. Allow frosting to cool.
- Place a spoonful of cooled coconut frosting on each brownie bite. Add 2 cadbury mini eggs to each brownie bite nest. Enjoy!