Umm, is it spring-time yet?! We’ve had some amazing warmer weather here in St. Louis the past few days and it’s been absolutely dreamy! I really don’t like winter if I can’t ski–and where I’m living right now there is hardly any snow and no mountains!
I was talking with some friends recently about how much I miss Utah winters because of the skiing–I grew up in Park City, UT, a small little ski town with three world class ski resorts! Spoiled, right?! Winter was always my favorite season because I could ski, snowboard, snowshoe, and sled–I loved it all!
Now that I live in the mid-west I’m having to adjust to a totally different type of winter. When people ask if we get snow here I usually respond that we get “ice storms”. The humidity makes everything freeze and makes it feel soo much colder. I’m an expert at scraping snow off of my car, but in St Louis I’ve had to learn how to scrape 2 inch thick sheets of ice off of my car! Winter is miserable if it’s cold, and you can’t play outside at all!
Making pasta salads is kinda my way of willing spring to come sooner and hoping this warmer weather will stay! I’m a HUGE pasta salad lover, and I especially love my pasta salads with lots of greens! This Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad has been really popular on the blog, and this Spinach Cilantro Avocado Pasta Salad is one of my healthy recipe favorites! I love using whole wheat noodles and the arugula in this salad is so delicious with the light lemon dressing that it’s tossed in! I eat this salad often for lunch, but you could also serve it for dinner and even throw in some cooked chicken, beans, or other vegetables to make it even heartier.
- 10 ounces Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes , halved
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- Salt and black pepper , to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente. Drain pasta and rinse under cold water.
- In a large bowl, toss pasta with arugula, tomatoes and Parmesan cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over pasta and toss until well coated. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Adapted from Two Peas and their Pod