A traditional Waldorf Salad with crisp apples, grapes, celery and walnuts in a creamy dressing.
Waldorf Salad is one of those classic recipes I’ve been wanting to share here for a while. It’s especially popular during the holidays as a side dish at Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. There are tons of different versions of Waldorf Salad, but most usually include apples, celery, grapes and nuts in a mayonnaise based dressing.
- 1 red apple (honey crisp, red delicious), unpeeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 green apple (golden delicious), unpeeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 rib celery, sliced
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup walnut halves
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (or half Greek yogurt)
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- black pepper, to taste
- Bib lettuce or large lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl toss the apples in lemon juice. Add celery, grapes, raisins and walnuts
- In a separate bowl stir together the mayonnaise, sugar, red wine vinegar and pepper. Taste and adjust to your liking with a little extra mayonnaise or more vinegar. Coat apple mixture in desired amount of dressing (you may not want to use it all).
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve cold, on top of bib lettuce or large lettuce leaf.