The BEST Black Bean Burgers made with fresh ingredients and totally FOOL PROOF. Your entire family will love them!
These amazing homemade black bean burgers have been a huge family favorite ever since I first made them over 3 years ago! My kids LOVE them, and even my meat-loving husband loves them.
If you’re like me, you may have tried veggie burgers in the past that were tasteless and/or didn’t hold together. Well, this burger will be your happy relief! It’s packed full of flavor, holds together perfectly and is super easy to grill. The texture is a little softer than a regular burger, which can be expected from a black bean burger, but it’s totally amazing! Pile on the homemade chipotle mayo sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and avocados and you’ll be in healthy burger heaven!
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 chipotle Chilies in adobo sauce
- 1 Tbsp adobo sauce
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- Drain liquid from the canned black beans. Place beans in strainer and rinse with water. Pat dry with a paper towel. Place in a large bowl and mash well with a fork.
- Place the bell pepper, onion and garlic in a food processor and process until finely chopped/pureed. Transfer mixture to a fine strainer to remove the excess water. (Remove as much moisture as you can--if it's too wet, the burger wont hold together as well.)
- Add the strained vegetable mixture to the bowl with the black beans. Add the chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add beaten egg and mix. Stir in bread crumbs. Form mixture into 4 patties.
- At this point you can choose to:
- Grill the burgers on a well oiled grill for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Bake them at 375 degrees F on a lightly oiled baking sheet, for 10 minutes on each side.
- Cook them on your stove using a grill pan, for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Refrigerate them for later.
- Freeze them, covered, in a freezer ziplock bag for a quick weeknight dinner in the future.
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve burgers on a white or whole wheat bun topped with a spoonful of chipotle mayo, lettuce, tomato, cheese, avocado, or any other desired toppings! Enjoy!
Never miss a post! Follow Tastes Better From Scratch on: