I come from a family of boys who hardly think a salad, (or lettuce wraps) as a main course qualifies as a filling meal. Whenever I hear those comments, they motivate me to prove them wrong! When you pack a salad with vegetables and protein, it can be super filling! The same goes for lettuce wraps. As long as you have plenty of filling (with a protein and lots of vegetables) everyone will leave the table satisfied. You can watch your hungry family load their plates with seconds, thirds, or even fourths and smile that they’re not only loving this meal, but they’re eating healthy!
I seriously love any foods that fall in the Thai/Indian categories, and I think a big reason is that they always contain fresh ingredients. I could eat various versions of lettuce wraps for every meal! Our P.F. Chang’s copycat Chicken Lettuce wraps are to die for, but when I’m looking for a really quick and simple weeknight meal, this one is super yummy too! It’s really easy to throw together in a half hour and it always tastes light, crunchy and fresh.
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped into small cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce (found in the Asian section of the grocery store)
- 1 heaping Tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp freshly chopped ginger
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- Crushed red pepper, to taste
- Bib or Romaine Lettuce Leaves
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Add chicken, garlic, onions, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through. Add the carrots, cabbage, and green onions, cooking an additional 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl combine the sweet chili sauce, ginger, chunky peanut butter, and soy sauce, and crushed red pepper. Stir until smooth. Add to pan along with chopped cilantro. Stir until blended in and heated through. Spoon mixture into lettuce leaves.