Taco Chicken Quesadillas with white bean salsa. A delicious, healthy 30-minute meal.
Happy New Year! Have you started making resolutions yet? What percentage of people do you think include eating healthier, or exercising more as one of their goals? I think it’s great how the start of a new year encourages people to want to be better and healthier. I’m all about all things in moderation. I’m not a fan of diets. I just like to make sure my family has a balanced diet. And with really simple meals like these Taco Chicken Quesadillas, you can cook something your family will enjoy, but doesn’t break the calorie bank.
Some of my favorite (family and kid-friendly) healthier meals include:
I absolutely love the flavors in this meal. Super simple ingredients, but together it makes for a yummy, new and refreshing dinner idea. The white bean salsa couldn’t be easier to make but takes this meal to the next level. It’s filling, healthy, and delicious!
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 large tortillas (white or whole grain)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- sour cream, for topping, if desired
- 1/2 of a white or red onion, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño, washed, deveined, seeded
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Juice of one lime
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- Add chicken pieces, taco seasoning and lime juice to a ziplock bag and shake well to combine. Refrigerate while you make the white bean salsa, or for up to 8 hours.
- Make the salsa: To a food processor or blender add onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Pulse/blend until finely diced. Remove contents to a bowl. Stir in white beans. Refrigerate.
- Add a little olive oil to a skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook, turning once, until cooked through. Allow chicken to rest for a few minutes before shredding it with two forks.
- Spread a small handful of cheese into a single layer on a tortilla. Add a handful of shredded chicken and 1/4 cup white bean salsa. Sprinkle another small handful of cheese on top. Cook quesadilla on a clean skillet over medium heat, flipping once, until tortillas are golden and cheese is melted.
- Serve warm with diced avocados and extra white bean salsa and sour cream, if desired.
Never miss a post! Follow me on: