Chocolate and Caramel. Is there a better combination? I don’t think so. Some of my favorite chocolate/caramel treats include:
Like most families, we have a few specific holiday treats that we make every single year. The first is my mom’s homemade caramels. They’re unbeatable! Seriously, they melt in your mouth and put all other caramels (especially store bought ones) to shame. We usually wrap them individually in wax paper and give bags full as neighbor gifts. The second treat we make every year are Christmas Cornflake Wreaths. Everyone in my extended family looks forward to those at our Christmas parties. They’re also extremely easy to make and super cute and festive.
I recently made a big batch of homemade caramels and decided to take them one step further by coating them in chocolate and sprinkling them with sea salt. WOW. These little Salted Chocolate Covered Caramels are fantastic.
- 1 batch homemade soft caramels (about 80 bite-size caramels)
- 6 (1lb) Hershey's chocolate bars (or other high quality chocolate bar for melting)
- Sea salt, for topping
- Make caramels according to instructions and allow to refrigerate overnight. Cut into bite-size squares.
- Place a large piece of parchment paper on top of a large jelly roll pan or cooking sheet.
- Break up chocolate into pieces in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at half power for about 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Use a toothpick or a fork to coat the caramels in chocolate. Let excess chocolate drip off before setting them on the parchment paper.
- Allow to set for 2-3 minutes before sprinkling sea salt on each. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Enjoy! Store extras in the fridge or at room temperature. (I like to refrigerate mine).