There’s something special about Red Velvet Cupcakes. They’re popular for wedding cakes and special occasions, and everyone seems to always go crazy for them! I guess it’s because it’s really just a delicious type of chocolate cake, colored red–and everyone loves chocolate!
For me, it’s the cream cheese frosting that’s the winner on Red Velvet Cupcakes. I’m obsessed with cream cheese frosting! And It just so happens that my all-time favorite cake is smothered in cream cheese frosting!
This recipe is one of the best I’ve found for “from scratch”, bakery style red velvet cupcakes. They’re light, moist and soft, and soo simple to throw together! Throw on some cute Red, White, and Blue Tinsel Picks and these make the perfect holiday treat!
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt, optional
- 1 Tbsp red food coloring
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 heaping cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk, if necessary
- 12 Red, White and Blue Tinsel picks*
- Preheat oven to 350 degreed F. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients, and mix until smooth.
- Add the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt, and stir just until combined; don't overmix.
- Gently stir in the red food coloring.
- Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean; don't over-bake.
- Combine the cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Add 1 cup powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Continue adding powdered sugar and milk until you reach your desired consistency. Frost cupcakes and add tinsel picks. Enjoy!
- *I found these tinsel picks on amazon.com, but most bakery supply stores sell them!
Looking for more great recipes to bring to your holiday party? Try these!
This post may be linked up to one of these fabulous linky parties!