Yes, I’m a little bit obsessed with homemade brownies. I recently posted these addicting little Brownie Truffles, and then about a week later I made this Peppermint Brownie Bark. But ask me if I ever got sick of brownies? NOPE! My favorite item at a cookie exchange is a brownie! Yes, it’s not technically a cookie, but you know there’s always going to be some brave soul who brings a plate of brownies! And I’m the guest who always goes for the brownies first. 🙂 They really are one of my all time favorite desserts!
Last year I posted these killer Peppermint Candy Cane Brownies. They differ from these because they include a tasty peppermint buttercream frosting. This Peppermint Brownie Bark recipe starts with a delicious homemade peppermint brownie base, then a thin layer of white chocolate and crushed peppermint candies on top. SOO good! You really can’t go wrong with either recipe!
- 4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate (4oz)
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 C flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 6 oz white chocolate
- 1 1/2 Tbsp shortening
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies or candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease well a 9×13'' inch pan.
- Chop the butter and the unsweetened chocolate into chunks and place together in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. Set aside to cool, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. While mixing, slowly add the melted chocolate.
- In a separate small bowl combine the flour and baking powder. Stir the flour into the chocolate batter, just until combined. Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 20-30 minutes or until a knife poked in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate and shortening together on very low heat in a double boiler, stirring constantly. Once melted, pour the melted white chocolate over the brownies and smooth into a thin layer. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies. Refrigerate until set. Cut into squares and then cut each square diagonally.