This recipe is REALLY special to my family! It was given to us by a good friend and we make it every year for family parties or special occasions and especially on Thanksgiving and Christmas! Everyone always looks forward to these amazing orange rolls this time of year and I would never dream of using a different recipe because this one is amazing! They’re light and fluffy and really easy to make.
I love this recipe because the directions make are so easy and fool-proof! Some people get intimidated to make homemade sweet breads, but you really can’t mess this one up! Follow the instructions and you’ll end up with the most fluffy, amazing Homemade Orange Rolls!
Homemade Orange Rolls
Light, fluffy rolls with a sweet orange filling and glaze!
Write a review
For the rolls
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- 2 Tbsp yeast
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 cups flour
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- zest of 2 large oranges
For the Glaze
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 tsp grated orange zest
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- In a small bowl, add water, yeast and sugar. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl fitted with a dough hook, add eggs, butter, salt, flour and yeast mixture.
- Knead the dough with your mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes. Cover bowl with a towel and let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead dough again for 3 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead dough one more time for three minutes. Let rest again for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 3 balls. Lightly flour your counter-top and roll each dough ball out into a 15''x8'' rectangle.
- Mix 1/2 cup softened butter with 1/2 cup sugar and the zest of 2 oranges. Spread this mixture evenly over the three rectangles of bread dough.
- Roll-up each rectangle lengthwise into a long tube (similar to how you would roll cinnamon rolls). Use a sharp serrated knife to cut the dough into 1 1/2'' sections. Put each small dough round into a greased muffin tin. (You could also lay them in a greased baking dish, like cinnamon rolls, but we always make them in muffin tins!)
- Allow dough to rise once more, for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and drizzle with glaze.
- For the glaze
- Whisk powdered sugar, orange zest and orange juice until smooth. Drizzle over warm orange rolls.
Tastes Better From Scratch http://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/
Looking for more tasty sweet bread recipes? Try these: