As much as I love to cook, lunchtime is always the busiest part of the day at our house and I’m always trying to think of easy but delicious lunch ideas for me and my toddler. Some of my go-to’s are Tomato Avocado Melts, a yummy Chicken Pesto Sandwich, or these awesome Kicked-Up Tuna Melts!
These yummy, open face melts are adapted from an Emeril Lagasse recipe, so you know they’re gonna be tasty! Plus they give you an excuse to use up some of your fresh tomatoes!
- 4 (5oz) cans solid white tuna packed in water, drained
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (or substitute half mayo, half plain Greek yogurt)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red or yellow onion
- 4 tsp capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 4 slices crusty bread
- 8 thin slices tomato
- 4 slices provolone
- Turn oven to Broil on High.
- In a medium bowl, combine tuna, mayonnaise, onion, capers, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and oregano and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Arrange bread on a baking sheet and spread a little mayo on each slice. Divide the tuna mixture evenly among the bread slices. Top each with 2 tomato slices and 1 slice of cheese.
- Broil until cheese is golden brown and bubbling, 3 to 4 minutes.