Jello Fruit Salad is a family favorite, easy side dish! Perfect for parties or an easy holiday side dish. It’s packed with fruit, including apples, cranberries, bananas, strawberries and pineapple!
Are you guys in the throws of holiday parties yet? I think the holidays and all of the gift giving, gift making, parties and food can really overwhelm and stress people out. I’ve learned to always rely on food that can be made in advance. Whether that’s food that can be made a few hours or days ahead of time.
We have our first official Christmas party this Saturday at our church. I am in charge of dessert for 200 people, so want to know how I made it easy on myself? A few days ago I made 7 of my favorite Chocolate Bundt Cakes and FROZE them. They freeze beautifully, frosting included, and I’m less stressed now that they are all done and ready to go! Then, I’ll prep my Apple Crisp recipe the day before the party and bring a few batches, freshly baked.
If the advanced prep treats intrigue you at all, then let me share some of my other favorites:
Homemade Caramels can be made and even wrapped weeks in advance. I like to put them in clear cello bags and give them to my kids teachers, neighbors, the post man and garbage man.
Mint Brownies can be made and either frozen until needed, or left in the fridge for a day or two. They are my favorite for Christmas cookie exchanges.
Vanilla Creme Balls can also be prepped in advance. The little cream centers can be frozen for several weeks.
Now, lets talk about this delicious Jello fruit salad. I have to be honest and admit that I’m not usually a “jello” person. It’s not something I grew up eating unless I was sick. (Weird, I know. Did anyone else’s mom make them jello when they were sick? I think something about it’s cold and smooth texture always sounded good. Like ice chips.)
However, THIS Jello fruit salad is in a completely different league. This recipe is courtesy of my amazing sister-in-law, Alexandra, who blogs over at Mom’s Bag of Tricks. The first time she made this for us everyone went nuts, and now my entire family begs her to bring it to every family party. It’s chocked full of fruit (my favorite is the shredded apple in it!), and makes an easy, beautiful side dish. It’s the kind of dish that appeals to every age, and will be devoured in minutes!
- 1 medium apple, peeled and shredded
- 2 bananas, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 (3 oz) boxes Strawberry Jell-O
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 (20 oz) cans crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 (16 oz) tub sweetened strawberries (slightly drained)
- 1 (14 oz) can whole cranberry sauce
- Whipped cream, for topping, optional
- Pecans or walnuts, for topping, optional
- Add the shredded apple and chopped bananas to a bowl and toss in lemon juice.
- Empty Jello-O packets into a large bowl. Add 2 cups boiling water and stir well until Jello-O is dissolved.
- Add crushed pineapple and strawberries and stir to combine. Stir in whole cranberry sauce. Stir in shredded apple and chopped bananas.
- Pour into desired serving dish--I use a 9x13'' pan, but you could put it in a trifle or other dish-- and refrigerate for several hours or until firm.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and chopped walnuts or pecans, if desired.
Try some of my other favorite fruit-y holiday sides: