Grapefruit and Avocado Salad with pan seared shrimp and a delicious sweet lemon dressing.
My mom has been visiting us in Saint Louis the last few days and we have been cooking up a storm! I love when she comes–we put our heads together in the kitchen and amazing things happen! We’ve made so many awesome things the last few days that I can’t wait to share with you all, starting with this amazing Grapefruit Avocado Salad with shrimp.
Honestly, this salad could be one of the best salads ever. If you’re not a seafood lover you can leave the shrimp off (BOO), and you can even serve the salad as a side dish. But the shrimp combination is not only fantastic, it really makes this salad a meal! The grapefruit and avocado go so well together, especially with the sweet lemon dressing.
- 2 heads of bib lettuce, chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled, and sliced into 1/2'' wedges
- 2 grapefruits
- 1 lb of shelled, raw shrimp (optional)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp grapefruit juice (leftover from peeling the grapefruit)
- Add olive oil to saucepan over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add shrimp and saute for a few seconds, just until pink on both sides (don't over cook!).
- Peel the rind off the grapefruit. Halve it, and then remove the skin from each individual slice so that your just left with slices of grapefruit flesh. Do this over a plate, and save any juice that accumulates on the plate.
- Layer bib lettuce with avocado and grapefruit. Top with cooked shrimp. Pour desired amount of dressing on top.
- For the dressing, whisk all ingredients together in a bowl until well combined.
If you like this recipe you may like: