It’s safe to say my sweet tooth is in full gear. I’ve been snacking on way to much of my toddler’s Halloween candy (he’s allergic to nuts, so Jeff and I get to eat pretty much half of his stash!), and I’m already dreaming of all of the delicious holiday sweets I’ll be making this season. And although this Gingerbread Cake is at the very, very top of the list you should definitely check out some of my other favorite HOLIDAY Cakes, like:
A family friend introduced my family to this cake and it’s spectacular. Don’t you just love the smell of freshly baked gingerbread? This cake by itself is delicious–totally acceptable to eat it as a stand-alone. But I just can’t resist the combination of fresh bananas, whipped cream and the most amazing warm vanilla cream sauce drizzled on top. It’s completely delicious!
A warm gingerbread cake topped with freshly sliced bananas and a warm vanilla cream sauce. Your family, friends and guests will RAVE over this amazing and simple cake. And did I mention how wonderful your house will smell 😉 Total bonus.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup very hot water
- bananas, for topping
- fresh whipped cream, for topping
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13'' pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the sugar and butter until smooth and light. Add the eggs and molasses and mix well. In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients together: flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir to combine. Slowly pour in the hot water and stir until smooth (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Serve warm, topped with fresh sliced bananas, whipped cream, and vanilla cream sauce.
- Add sugar, butter and cream to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until butter has melted. Bring mixture to a boil and boil, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving over cake.
Adapted from Lion House Recipes
Never miss a post! Follow me on: