Do you know how easy it is to make your own roasted red peppers? I learned this trick when I lived in Mexico, and now I make them all the time! Seriously, never waste your money on store-bought roasted red peppers, because they are so simple and delicious to make yourself. And they take like 10 minutes!
I’ve been craving them lately! I recently made a roasted red pepper sauce over tortellini that I can’t wait to share. And the roasted red peppers in this delicious pasta dish were just the thing it needed.
I was brain storming dinner ideas with my sister the other day. She really wanted something with fresh kale in it, and we both thought a creamy pasta sounded delicious! She already had some Colosimo Italian sausages (my favorite brand!) in her fridge and some red bell peppers, so with all of those yummy ingredients, this amazing Creamy Kale, Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper Pasta was born! Super easy, and delicious.
- 12 oz farfalle pasta (or other bite size pasta)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 links Italian pork or turkey sausage links, mild or hot
- 2-3 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced in half
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 5 cups chopped kale (thick ribs removed)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1 chicken bullion cube, crushed
- 1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- Crushed red chili peppers, for topping (optional)
- Additional add-ins (optional): fresh tomatoes, grilled zucchini
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Turn oven to HIGH broil. Cover a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the red bell pepper halves, skin side up, on the sheet. Press them down flat with the palm of your hand. Broil on high for several minutes until the top of the peppers are charred and black. Remove from the oven and place peppers in a paper of plastic bag. Seal the bag closed and allow the peppers to rest (steam) for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove them to a plate and peel the charred skin off (it should slide easily off). Roughly chop the peppers and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage links and cook for several minutes, until browned on all sides. Remove to a plate and slice sausages into rings.
- Add garlic to the pan and saute for about 30 seconds. Add roasted bell peppers, and chicken broth, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze any browned bits. Add chopped kale, and cook, tossing, for 1 minutes. Cover pan with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes until kale is tender and slightly wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile in a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook stirring constantly for 1 minute. Slowly pour in 1 1/2 cups of milk, and crushed chicken bullion cube and whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for a few more minutes until mixture begins to thicken and bubble. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1/2 cup of milk and about 1/3 cup parmesan cheese. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Add pasta to the skillet with sausage and peppers. Pour desired amount of sauce on top and toss to combine. Season with crushed red chili peppers, for those that like a little heat! Top with remaining fresh parmesan cheese. Serve warm.
If you like this recipe you may like: