Raise your hand if you LOOOVVVEEE Chocolate Cake!! I’m a little obsessed, if you haven’t noticed. This Chocolate Macaroon Bundt Cake makes my 7th chocolate cake recipe I’ve shared with you guys. They include:
Don’t make me pick a favorite. I couldn’t do it!
There are two things that make this chocolate cake really special. First, it’s my Grandma’s recipe, and was one of my mom’s favorites growing up. Second, it has a delicious coconut macaroon filling layered in the middle. Y-U-M!
Coming from my grandma I already knew this cake would be delicious. And it was. (Some other favorites from my grandma’s recipe box include this Oatmeal Cake and her Lemon Chiffon Pie!) I like to drizzle chocolate and vanilla glaze on top, resulting in a truly amazing chocolate cake!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk (reserve the egg white for filling)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 6 Tbsp milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in the coconut, flour and vanilla. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda. In a separate bowl mix together the sour cream, eggs, egg yolk, vanilla and shortening. Add to the dry ingredients, along with the cold water and mix well to combine.
- Grease and flour your bundt pan. Pour half of the batter into the pan and smooth into an even layer. Spoon the coconut macaroon filling even on top of the batter. Spoon remaining batter on top, covering all of the coconut filling.
- Bake at 350°F for 45-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire wrack to cool completely. Drizzle with vanilla and chocolate glaze, once the cake is cool.
- Add butter and milk to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and divide mixture evenly between two bowls. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar to each bowl. Add cocoa powder to one of the bowls. Beat the vanilla glaze first (with electric beaters) until smooth. Beat the chocolate glaze until smooth. Pour the glazes into separate ziplock bags. Cut the corners off of each bag and drizzle the glazes on the cake.
Love Bundt Cakes? Try one of my other favorites!: