I originally shared this recipe on All Things Thrifty on January 22, 2015
It’s the final day of my “Back to Basics” week where I’ve shared a few of my favorite “basic” recipes–those recipes that everyone should have in their recipe box! (For example, these Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies, and my favorite Blueberry Muffins.)
But don’t worry, I saved the best for last! Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting! A classic treat that everybody loves, and this homemade recipe is killer! I don’t know how you like your cupcakes, but I like mine to have a 2:1 frosting/cupcakes ratio 🙂 . Although I love a great moist and delicious homemade chocolate cupcake, the frosting is my favorite part. And this chocolate buttercream does not disappoint!
Now people always ask how to get that perfect swirl. The tip I used for these cupcakes is my favorite! It’s a Wilton 1M.
And since I really love ya’ll I’ll share my SUPER amateur video on how to frost cupcakes. Haha! I made it when I was 9 months pregnant and it’s seriously embarrassing and terrible quality, BUT, I talk about my three favorite decorating tips and show how to frost cupcakes with them!
Like I said, totally amateur video and completely embarrassing of myself! But hopefully it was helpful! Now, onto the awesome recipe!
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare muffin tins with 24 paper liners.
- In large mixing bowl whisk together cocoa powder and baking soda. Carefully pour in boiling water and whisk until well blended; allow to cool for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in another large mixing bowl add the melted butter, vegetable oil, sugar, vanilla and salt and beat until well combined. Stir in eggs and eggs yolks, mixing after each addition, just until combined. Blend in cocoa mixture and then blend in heavy cream. Slowly mix in flour and stir until combined.
- Divide batter evenly among the 24 muffin cups, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool.
- Beat butter for two minutes. Add vanilla extract, cocoa powder and milk and beat again until smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired frosting consistency.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles!
Try some other fun homemade cupcakes recipes: