Something amazing happened this week–it snowed about half of an inch in Saint Louis and they cancelled school! One of the strangest things I’ve ever encountered! haha. Growing up in a ski town you get used to snow piled higher than your head outside of the house and we were hardly ever lucky enough to have school canceled. I guess my kids can look forward to lots more snow days than I ever had 🙂
You just can’t not make soup on a snow day. And guys, I really can’t adequately express how much I LOVE this Chile Verde Soup. I could never, ever get sick of it and it couldn’t be easier to make. Next time I’ll be doubling the batch because of how quickly my family devoured it. So many strong and delicious flavors and adding a little bit of chopped avocado on top is the perfect compliment to it. I’ve included directions to make it in the slow cooker and on the stove-top–either way is super easy!
- 2 chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup salsa verde (like the herdez brand)
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can northern white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (11 oz) can corn, drained
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and chopped
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and celery and saute for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add them to the slow cooker. Add cumin, chili powder, salsa verde, chicken broth, beans, and corn. Cover and cook on LOW for 2-3 hours. Shred chicken and return to the pot along with the cilantro. Serve with cheese and avocado on top.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken for several minutes on both sides, turning once, until cooked through. Remove to a plate and allow to rest for 5 minutes before shredding it with a fork.
- Add chopped onion and celery to the pan and saute for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add chicken and veggies to a large pot. Add cumin, chili powder, salsa verde, chicken broth, white beans, corn and cilantro. Bring to a simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes more. Serve with cheese and avocado on top.
Never miss a post! Follow Tastes Better From Scratch on:
You may also like: