It’s finally soup season! I’m that person that could live off of soup every single day! I love it so much. It’s a great way to sneak veggies in for kids and it always tastes comforting and hearty!
I particularly love this slow cooker chicken enchilada soup because it uses all fresh ingredients. I don’t know about you, but I rarely have canned enchilada sauce on hand–with this recipe, you don’t need it! And it tastes WAY better from scratch! Plus it’s easy-peasy–you probably have all the ingredients and spices already on hand! I also love this soup because it has fresh corn tortillas cooked in the broth. They make it flavorful and thick and absolutely delicious!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 5-6 cloves garlic , chopped
- 2 carrots , peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery , chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper , (seeds and membranes removed), chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 heaping teaspoon cumin
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5- ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 4-5 bone-in chicken thighs (you could substitute chicken breasts)
- 5-6 6 ″ yellow corn tortillas
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup half and half
- chopped green onions , for topping
- sour cream , for topping
- shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese , for topping
- cilantro , for topping
In a large saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, bell pepper, jalapeno and saute until fragrant and the vegetables are tender. Add to slow cooker, along with chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, and paprika. Stir to combine. Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and water to slow cooker.
In the same pan you cooked the chicken, add another drizzle of olive oil over high heat. Sear the chicken for 1-2 minutes on both sides, just until brown. Add to slow cooker. Add tortillas. Cook on high for 3 hours.
Remove chicken to a plate, shred the meat and remove any bones. Ladle the soup from the slow cooker into a blender, in batches, and blend until smooth. Return pureed soup to the slow cooker, along with shredded chicken, and cook for 1 more hour.
Stir in half and half. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve topped with green onions, sour cream, cheese, avocado, cilantro.
Adapted from Our Best Bites
If you love soup as much as I do, you’ve got to try these!: