Hooray for apple season! Last week I shared this incredible Caramel Pecan Apple Crisp, and I’ve been dying to share this amazing baked apples recipes.
My love for this healthy treat comes from my Mom. Whenever we had a big sweet tooth, but didn’t want a heavy dessert she would make these baked apples. They take all of 5 minutes to prepare and the end result is sweet, tender apples with a delicious pecan filling. I love to top mine with low fat vanilla ice cream and a little drizzle of my favorite homemade caramel sauce. It’s perfection.
- 4 good-quality apples (I like to use red apples, but baking apples, such as Granny Smith, work great to!)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- Caramel sauce, for topping, optional
- Ice cream, for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use a paring knife to remove the stem and seeds from the apples, making a deep hole where the filling will go.
- Combine the brown sugar, butter and cinnamon in a small bowl and mix well to combine. Add the nuts. Spoon mixture evenly into each of the apples. Add water to a small baking dish and place apples on top. Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until apples are tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and allow to cool before eating. Serve with ice cream and caramel sauce, if desired.
Never miss a post! Follow me on:
If you like this recipe you may like: