There’s nothing better than a super easy, 30-minute meal. And that’s exactly what this Creamy Orzo with Sausage and Vegetables dish is! I LOVE the orzo noodles and the yummy summer vegetables that are thrown in. Everything is cooked together so the veggies are nice and tender–even my one-year-old gobbled up this. Plus, it’s a “one-pot” meal, which makes for super easy clean up! You can use any type of sausage you like, and you could totally mix up the vegetables as well. We like to use chicken sausages or turkey kielbasa.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ large onion, chopped
- ½ large zucchini, sliced into rounds and then quartered
- 1/4 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup sliced white button mushrooms
- 3 sausages (we like to use chicken sausages or half of a turkey polska kielbasa), sliced and then quartered
- 1½ cups orzo pasta
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 7 oz. canned diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add olive oil and garlic to a large pot over medium high heat and cook for 1 minute. Add onions, zucchini and bell pepper and cook, stirring constantly for 4-5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sausage and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the orzo noodles allow cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add the chicken broth. Brin mixture to a boil and, once boiling, cover, reduce heat to low, and for about 10 minutes, or until orzo has cooked through. Stir in the diced tomatoes and cream. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 more minutes. Serve warm.
More easy weeknight meal ideas: